1980 to 1999
- Rathgar Motor Factors Ltd. now trading as PartsforCars was established in 1980 in a small modest shop on Rathgar Avenue. The motor factor was based in an old delicatessen and the doors were opened by founder George Tohill, initially supplying car parts & accessories at competitive prices to the local motor trade.
- Parts were initially delivered with the use of one van driver.
- Times were very different back then and it was a tough environment in which to start a business. This was initially done with two staff members and with family support. Throughout the next decade tranches of land were acquired next door to the initial premises, initially in the neighbouring cottage and at a later point, the small local drapery shop was separately acquired.
2000 to 2009
- In 2000, the company made a large investment of £1.2 million punts in a new premises which was purpose built in a piecemeal fashion to ensure the company did not have to shut its door for one single day. This was of the upmost importance in the expansion of the company, customers’ needs could never be compromised. The project ultimately had to be managed to ensure a seamless transition without disturbing customer service.
- At this point George was joined in the business by his son Derek who had worked in the small shop daily after school from the age of 12. Derek had completed a Bachelor of business degree and had been working as a qualified stockbroker for over 5 years but the time had come for Derek to join and modernise all aspects of the company and set it up for future expansion.
2010 to Present Day
- The next phase for the business resulted in the company acquiring a property in 2011 in Blanchardstown on the Northside of Dublin. This was a large investment of almost €3 million during tough times when the banks were effectively closed to small businesses. The building took over 12 months to renovate to a very high standard and PartsforCars Blanchardstown officially opened its doors in March 2012.
- This venture would now allow the company to service the whole of Dublin and its neighbouring counties. This coincided with the company being renamed and the PartsforCars brand was born.
- PartsforCars group now employs almost 50 full-time staff with a fleet of over 15 delivery vehicles and a dedicated tele-sales offices operated by experienced & knowledgeable staff. Group sales are now overseen by Sales Director Gary Murphy. The business now also distributes and stock a much wider and deeper range of products including automotive tools, diagnostic equipment, bodyshop sundries and workshop consumables.
- In February 2016 PartsforCars were announced as 2016 SIMI Irish Motor Factor of the year, this was announced in front 700 guests from all facets of the Irish Motor Industry.
- March 2016 sees the role out of the initial phase of our new website www.partsforcars.ie